At St Bernadette’s we proudly and actively embrace difference and diversity. We are committed to providing a high quality, supportive and inclusive learning environment that respectfully empowers the diverse range of students in our community.
Working collaboratively with parents, teachers, our Learning Diversity Leader and our Learning Support Officers, we aim to provide the support and specialised programs our students would benefit from on their road to achieving success academically, socially, emotionally and physically. These may include, but are not limited to:
– Assistance in the classroom by Learning Support Officers.
– Modified classwork, homework and assessments to match individual student’s needs, ensuring they progress along the learning continuum at their own pace.
– Personalised Learning Plans created by classroom teachers to support and address student’s learning needs when they cannot be met by the standard curriculum.
– Program Support Group meetings scheduled each term for students who meet the Nationally Consistent Collection of Data (NCCD) criteria for Substantial Adjustments and above.
– Where appropriate, forming partnerships with allied health services such as paediatricians, speech pathologists, occupational therapists and educational psychologists.
Students with a disability are empowered to complete tasks as independently as possible. Our aim is to provide the necessary ‘tools’ and support to enable the student to complete the task for themselves, thus giving an opportunity for confidence building and future risk-taking.
Gifted and Talented
Our gifted and talented students are provided with opportunity within the classroom to work at their level by means of a differentiated curriculum. This means that the activities have different entry points for students with different abilities, knowledge and skills. Our gifted and talented students are also provided additional extension opportunities through use of our Learning Support Officers and external programs to ensure that their learning needs are catered for and extended.